Monday, March 10, 2008

Week 9, Thing #23 - Thoughts on School Library Learning 2.0

Creative Commons, refining copyright laws to allow for the sharing of intellectual property seems like a timely, sensible concept. I hadn't heard of Creative Commons before starting Thing #23.

I particularly enjoyed the creative exercises in School Library Learning 2.0: adding an avatar to my blog, creating magazine covers and trading cards using Flickr mashups, contributing to the Learning 2.0 Sandbox wiki and getting wiki updates in my Gmail account, and using a widget on LibraryThing to add some covers of my favorite books to my blog. I can see how simple tools like these could be easily incorporated into the curriculum. I have shared the links with some classroom teachers and hope to do some collaborative lessons using these tools. I am using one idea I found in this course for National Library Week: a “Get Caught Reading” poster contest for the staff and students of my school.

I think I have strengthened my technology skills and become more confident in several of my lifelong learning habits through the completion of this course. I have practiced viewing problems as challenges and have begun to use Web 2.0 technology tools to my advantage.

I was surprised by how many of the Web 2.0 tools that I became excited about and have shared with friends and colleagues. Many of the tools can be easily used in the school library, and I think that they would be motivational for students. I look forward to learning even more about these tools as I use them more.

I noticed in the Online Learning Program for CSLA Members and Friends that participants were reminded that the course was about “self-discovery and self-learning,” but that they could email the School Library Learning 2.0 Team for help if necessary. It would have been helpful to have had an email contact for help and questions.

I spent quite a bit of time exploring each “thing” so I appreciated being given extra time to complete all 23 Things.

I would definitely consider taking part in another program like this in the future. I liked being able to learn at my own pace, at my own convenience, and to be able to see the work and comments of colleagues taking the course.

School Library Learning 2.0 was an invigorating and empowering experience in which I learned how to use new, exciting Web 2.0 learning tools. This course was very beneficial to me, and I would definitely recommend it to other school librarians. Thank you to CSLA, MSLA, Kathy D. and my coach Chris S. for making this possible.

No comments: